About Pugin > Irish buildings
We present here a selection of Pugin's Irish buildings.
They are listed alphabetically by County and then by city/town/village.
St Mary's Cathedral, Cathedral Place. Designed 1842, constructed 1842-1912. Completion works of 1908-12 by Ashlin & Coleman included lengthening of nave and erection of tower and spire, not to Pugin's original design. Aisled cruciform building with crossing tower and spire. The interior stripped of its original plaster finish, flooring and most furnishings in 1972-3. Open daily.
Former Presentation Convent, Slievekeale Road. Designed 1841, constructed 1842-63. Some fittings and furnishings after 1852 by Edward Welby Pugin. Traditional monastic layout around a quadrangular cloister. Some minor modifications but essentially intact, including rood screen. Conversion of the convent (a protected structure) to a health centre by Waterford firm DHB Architects completed in May 2009.
St Alphonsus' Church, on the N25 a few km west of the N25/N11 roundabout. Designed c.1844, constructed 1844-48. Aisled church with western double bellcote, south porch and sacristy at the east end of the north side. Structurally unaltered. Open daily.
Download an essay on St Alphonsus' Church (pdf/967k)
Church of the Assumption. Designed 1838, constructed 1838-39. Two-compartment church with apsidal chancel, west porch and western bellcote. Structurally unaltered. Open daily.
St Aidan's Cathedral. Designed 1843, constructed 1843-73. Aisled clerestoried cruciform building with crossing tower and spire. Structurally unaltered. Open daily.
St Michael's Church, St Michael's Road. Designed 1839, constructed 1839-43. Large aisled clerestoried cruciform church with apsidal chancel and crossing tower, an intended spire not built. Polygonal baptistery by J.J. McCarthy constructed off the south aisle west end in 1900-01. Structurally intact. Open daily.
Download an essay on St Michael's Church(pdf/636k)
St James' Church. Designed 1838, constructed 1838-43, the tower in 1870. Large single compartment church with north and south porches, two-storey sacristy at the east end of the north side, later two-storey structure at the east end of the south side, and a central western tower, lacking its intended spire and with a non-Pugin capping. Structurally intact. Open daily.
Download an essay on St James' Church(pdf/427k)
St Mary's Church. Designed 1843, constructed 1843-48. Large aisled clerestoried church with transepts, separately expressed chancel, eastern chapels, a south porch and a - presumably - earlier tower abutting the sacristy north wall. Structurally unaltered. Open daily.
St Peter's College Chapel, access off Summerhill Road. Designed 1838, constructed 1838-41. Large single compartment chapel with western triple bellcote. Structurally unaltered. Rood screen demolished but its two altars retained in storage. Not open to the public.