About Pugin > Demolished Australian buildings
Thirteen buildings were constructed in Australia to Pugin's designs. We are indeed fortunate that ten have survived, although a number of them have been substantially altered. We present here the three demolished buildings, which include his only Australian cathedral - partly completed - and his only Australian house.
New South Wales
Temporary free-standing bell tower, College Street, on the site of the present St Mary’s Cathedral. Designed 1842, constructed 1843. Demolished c.1870 to make way for the present cathedral.
St Mary’s Cathedral additions, College Street. Designed 1842, constructed 1851–c.1860. Triple-gabled with clerestoried nave and lower stages of projected south-west tower and spire as westward extension of original cruciform Gothick structure. Gutted by fire in 1865, then demolished in early 1900s to make way for the nave of the present cathedral designed by William Wilkinson Wardell.
Presbytery, Gay Street. Designed c.1847, constructed 1853 to the rear of St Paul's Church. Demolished c.1960.